TRAVELING TO NEW ENGLAND

July 3rd, 2014–Excavation Site for The Oldest House in New England.  Owned and occupied continuously by the same family for over three centuries. Archaeological excavation has been authorized by the Wing Foundation.

THE WING FAMILY HOMESTEAD MUSEUM 7.3.2014
THE WING FAMILY HOMESTEAD MUSEUM 7.3.2014

The house was built in 1641 and was originally called “The Fort House” as a refuge against Indian attack. It was occupied by the Wing family in 1646.  Originally it was a small building with a loft but was expanded based on the growth and prosperity of the Wing family.

WING FAMILY PICTURE IN 1901 REUNION
WING FAMILY PICTURE IN 1901 REUNION

Most rooms have their own fire-place for warmth.  Stairs are narrow and doorways are lower than today’s 6′ 8″ standard.  The kitchen is a large fireplace with andirons and iron hooks for pots.  It is the largest room in the house and was added after the Wings first occupied the house.

Restored and preserved by The Wing Family of America, Inc. as a historic museum at Spring Hill Road, East Sandwich, Massachusetts on Cape Cod.

The museum is open Tuesday through Saturday June 15 to September 30 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.  There is a small admission fee.

X-rays of the floor show the possibility of the remains of 3 bodies below the foundation.  If authorized by the Wing Foundation, the remains may be excavated for archaeological examination.

Views All Time
Views All Time
Views Today
Views Today
(Visited 8 time, 1 visit today)

Always good to hear from you!